Monday, October 25, 2010

Bye Bye, Miss American Pie

OK, so I must admit that I never understood what this song was talking about.  It was too long for me to pay attention to all the lyrics... but the chorus is mighty catchy :)  I HAVE to share with everyone the most A-ma-zing apple pie recipe that we made during our Cooking activity last week at my work :)  I've never been a huge apple pie fan even- but October is apparently "apple month" (although I would argue that it's more "pumpkin month"), so we thought a homemade apple pie would be a great recipe.  I usually don't like all the cinnamon-y taste in apple pie, but this has zero cinnamon- and I love it!!

I've always been intimidated thinking about making fruit pies- and now I have no idea why!!  The only thing remotely difficult about this recipe was peeling the apples- and that was only because it's time consuming, not actually challenging.  Here's the recipe I got from allrecipes.com.  It's called Grandma Ople's Apple Pie.
{I always check the ratings on websites before I waste my time making something, and this one had a full 5 stars from over 3,000 voters.  Pretty impressive- and totally deserving!!  You can go here if you want to check it out for yourself.}

Ingredients
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
 1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored
 
Directions
*Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.

*Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work of crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.

*Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.
 
That's it!!  My only pieces of advice would be:
a.) Place the pie pan on a cookie sheet, so it can catch all the gooey stuff that runs over the sides.
b.) It may be possible to make this just a regular pie crust topping, but I would recommend making it lattice.  The picture on the website had a lattice work top, so that's what we did.  And since you just drizzle all the deliciousness on top of the crust, it works best I'm sure if the gooey flavors can seep down through the cracks in the lattice strips.  {Here's a simple step-by-step with helpful pictures that we used for how to do the lattice- since we were inexperienced :)}
 
Here's a picture of our masterpiece!
I told my family I'm going to have to make this for them this week!  Grandma Ople, whoever you are, I'm so grateful that you shared this recipe with the world!! (I can now check #1 off my 101 list!)

1 comment:

  1. JOY! You are awesome! The pie looks (and sounds) delicious! I will def. have to try it out. Your blog is awesome... love the list you've created! Can't wait to see/hear about everything else you accomplish!

    ReplyDelete